Conference Services is working hard to care for our guests and our planet!
We are committed to reducing waste and energy consumption in every aspect of our operations, from staff training and business practices, to guest participation and local supplier partnerships.
What are we up to?
- All our conference food scraps and paper napkins are composted.
- Facilities/resources are provided to encourage more sustainable transit options (e.g. bike storage and change rooms, subsidized transit passes, and even parking for low emission vehicles!)
- We source many locally grown items.
- Any usable bathroom amenities are collected for donation.
- All laundry and cleaning is done with eco-friendly products.
- Guests can opt in to our linen and towel re-use program.
- Appliances are Energy Star.
- We use native plants and trees for exterior landscaping.
- We now have eco-friendly amenities in our guest rooms.
- Training and education for staff has been enhanced.
- Received a STARS Gold Rating for university sustainability performance.
- Installation of low flow shower heads and toilets in all guest rooms!
To support our efforts, we've partnered with the experts. Read on to learn about our involvement in the EcoStay and Green Key programs and how you can contribute to sustainability during your stay.
What is the Green Key program?
The Green Key program is a globally recognized and comprehensive eco-rating program committed to improving the environmental performance of its members.
How does it work?
The Eco-Rating program is a graduated rating system used to recognize hotels, motels and resorts. To rate a hotel, Green Key looks at five operational areas and nine areas of sustainable practice. They also provide resources and marketing tools to support ongoing sustainable programs in our hotel.
What does our Rating Mean?
We were awarded 4 of a possible 5 "green keys". Of the almost 2,000 participating hotels, only 46 have received a higher 5-key rating. As described by Green Key we are "a hotel that has shown national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through wide ranging policies and practices. Mature programs that involve management, employees, guests, and the public have shown substantial and measurable results."
What is the EcoStay program?
The EcoStay program supports hotels across North America in their efforts to take action against climate change. With the help of the EcoStay program, your stay with us is 100% carbon neutral.
How does it work?
EcoStay supports environmental & energy-saving initiatives in our hotel, helps us measure and track our greenhouse gas emissions and contributes to emission-reducing carbon offset projects across Canada, including wind farms in Alberta.
How can I help?
A $2 nightly fee is added to the bill of our guests - $1.50 supports carbon offset projects across Canada and $0.50 is invested into initiatives right here in our hotel!
You can join our efforts by opting out of linen or towel service, turning your lights off when you leave your room and by recycling.